Hi friends!! How is everyone? I hope you all had a great weekend and are enjoying this relaxing rainy Sunday (here in ATL at least).
When I reflect on this past month, it is so joy-filled. I absolutely love this time of year and all the fun fall-themed activities it brings.
GIRLS TRIP RECAP
Earlier in the month I took a girls trip to Charleston with a few of my college friends and it was so good for the soul. We all live in different cities so it was so nice to get together after being away for so long! Fun fact, I moved to Charleston (Mt. Pleasant) when I was in 6th grade and spent middle and high school there before going off to college, so it is another home away from home for me.<3
We went out Friday night to dinner at Stars restaurant and rooftop bar, and then danced the night away at a few more bars. We had a wholesome Saturday afternoon filled with an at-home brunch and then took a trip to Folly Beach for a few hours. We got lucky with BEAUTIFUL warm weather in October! Saturday evening we headed over to Shem Creek where we had dinner and drinks at Saltwater Cowboys (get the nachos & sit outside!!), then had late night drinks at Reds.
PUMPKIN PATCH RECAP
Last year we got our pumpkins from a church near us that does a fun local festival, but it was unfortunately canceled this year. Instead, we ventured up to Uncle Shuck’s Farm & Corn Maze which was about an hour from Atlanta! It was so fun for not only Blakely, but for Casey, me and his parents! They had hayrides, a (very advanced level) corn maze, kids jump-a-lot, goat feeding, delicious fried mini donuts, and more. Oh, and of course a fun selection of pumpkins! Highly recommend this farm & corn maze if you’re in the area!
October was a fun month in the wedding planning process because I have asked my bridesmaids & Casey has asked his groomsmen. We also asked our flower girl and ring bearer too (Casey’s little cousins & Blakely!). I wrote a whole blog post called part 2 of my wedding planning series, so if you’re interested in all that we’ve been doing to get ready for our June wedding go check it out!
Now that we got the recap out of the way, let’s get into this month’s favorite things!
OCTOBER FAVORITE THINGS
This month I finished three books!
- I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy 4/5
- Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid 4/5
- Boundaries by Henry Cloud & John Townsend (ok, I’m a few chapters away from finishing this one but it’s 5/5)
I listened to Jennette McCurdy’s brave and raw autobiography on my (10 hours total) car ride to Charleston & back. It was so incredibly heartbreaking to hear all that Jennette has been through, but also so cool to see how far she has come with sharing her story.
I was hesitant to read Carrie Soto, TJR’s newest novel, since I just finished one of her earlier books (Forever Interrupted) and did not like it at all. I’m so glad I did read it because it was a touching story full of passion, triumphs, and unconditional love. I highly recommend!
Lastly, I finished the self-help book I’m reading about boundary setting. This book has honestly changed my perspective on so much & has helped me gain more control of my life and the relationships in it. I recommend it to anyone with a beating heart!!!
My top 3 podcast episodes that I listened to this month:
- Fitness Toolkit: Protocol & Tools to Optimize Physical Health | Huberman Lab. If you’ve never heard of Andrew Huberman, first stop what you’re doing and go listen to his podcast. Second, he is a Professor if Neurobiology & Ophthalmology at Stanford School of Medicine & his goal is to share free tools through his podcast to help us gain knowledge about our brain, our behaviors and our health. This particular episode was right up my ally because he lists out best practices for fitness training and WHY, based on science. Highly recommend!
- 5 Boundaries to Set in Relationships & 3 Ways to Use Them Effectively | On Purpose with Jay Shetty. I recently discovered Jay Shetty’s podcast, which by the way is the number one health podcast in the world, and I’m so glad I did! I have so many of his previous episodes saved to listen to, but this one from October 21st caught my eye since it was discussing boundaries! It’s only 25 minutes where Jay talks setting boundaries, breaking boundaries, and different types of boundary relationships in your life.
- How To Heal Through Food, Raise Strong & Capable Children, & Think Outside The Box Ft. Serenity Kids Founders | The Skinny Confidential. Mamas, this episode is especially for you! I loved hearing the story behind one of my FAVORITE food brands to feed Blakely. This episode was so informative on how healing food is & just how important it is to be aware of what we feed our children. Don’t forget you can use my code COURTFIT to get $ off of your order on their site!
Casey & I started watching Ted Lasso last week after hearing so much hype about it. After watching the first season in two nights and now are about to finish the second season, it’s safe to say we understand the hype. It’s hilarious, it’s feel-good, and it’s heart warming. Each one of the characters are so unique and lovable. I can’t even pick a favorite because I just love them all for different reasons!! It might be up there with one of my favorite shows of all time.
Get ready for 3 cozy, warm, hearty fall recipes that you have to try this season:
HBH Chicken Orzo Lemon Soup – The way the flavors come together in this soup is unreal. There’s fresh herbs, tasty veggies, hearty broth, lemon & garlic, and a delicious orzo which is a nice touch.
Sausage & Tortellini Soup – Looking for a big bowl of comfort? This tortellini soup is flavored with delicious Italian chicken sausage & a tomato & chicken broth base that is a cozy family favorite of ours.
White Chicken & Corn Chili – A seasonal staple in our home! This fall chicken chili is not only tasty the night of, but it makes for amazing leftovers. I could seriously eat this weekly in the fall/winter season!!
5 Things I’m Loving Right Now:
- DETANGLE HAIR PRODUCT… I don’t think I’ve ever shared this product and I really haven’t seen it anywhere, but my (amazing) hair stylist recommended this product to me and I’ve been using it for over a year now! It does like 10 things all in one product including heat protection, helps detangle, controls fizz, adds shine, and more.
- STANLEY CUP 40OZ… I didn’t realize they had this cup on Amazon which makes it so much easier to purchase if you have prime. They have the cutest colors, it fits in any cup holder, and holds 40 oz of water (and stays cold all day!).
- OLAPLEX HAIR MASK… This hair mask is so good. I just started using it again weekly throughout my hair, but especially on my ends, and I can tell a difference in how hydrated, smooth and shiny my hair is!!
- BRANCH BASICS ALL PURPOSE CLEANER... yes, I know I am officially an adult when I’m excited about cleaning supplies. But you guys! This brand is non-toxic and safe to use around kids and just all around amazing. I ordered the $5 trial kit just to try & am obsessed. Though pricey, it’s worth investing in your health IMO.
- BOOTY BANDS… if you are looking for an effective way to tone and lean at home or at the gym and you aren’t using booty bands, I highly recommend giving them a try!! They’ll take your workout to the next level and allow you to engage & workout muscles that are harder to train.