After a lot of trial and error (mainly error haha), I have finally figured out how to add protein powder to a smoothie and have it actually taste GOOD!
I can’t stand when a protein drink or smoothie has a chalky taste. Like most people with their cocktails who don’t want to taste the liquor, I don’t want to taste the protein in my smoothie.
There are so many benefits I’ve recently discovered from adding more protein into my diet:
- For one, it helps to promote muscle mass! Since I’m focusing on strength training and heavier lifting in the gym right now, increasing my protein is key to building muscle and strength.
- Second, it helps to fill me up longer so I don’t go through my day snacking on any and everything- and mainly processed foods that don’t leave me feeling my best. Though, everything is okay in moderation in my book!
- Lastly, I’ve also felt my energy levels increase after adding more protein into my diet.
With that being said, let’s jump into the #dEATS of the Ultimate Berry Protein Smoothie.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
I bought most of these ingredients from Trader Joe’s, besides the yogurt and the protein powder. The Truvani protein powder can be pricey, but I found it on sale at Sprouts. Everything goes on sale eventually, so definitely keep your eye out for that.
As for exact measurements for the smoothies, 100% of the time I just eye-ball it. It’s hard to mess up a smoothie! Most of the measurements you see below are just for a guide.
- 1 scoop Truvani Protein Powder (I used vanilla chai flavor – but plain vanilla would work here too.)
- about 1/2 cup Greek yogurt of choice (I used the vanilla flavor of Chobani 0 sugar)
- about 2 tsp chia seeds
- about 1 cup FROZEN mixed berries
- 1 banana
- handful of spinach (don’t skip the spinach – I promise you can’t taste it!)
- dash of honey
- splash of milk of choice (I used whole milk – add more as needed to help blend)
WHAT BLENDER SHOULD I USE?
I use this Ninja Professional Blender to blend my smoothies and it works amazing! It’s not only powerful enough to have all your ingredients turned to liquid in a matter of seconds, but it’s also affordable (under $100!) compared to some other high quality blenders on the market. It’s also easy to use, clean, and store which is always a plus!
I can only speak for the blender I have and love, but I’m sure any high powered blender will do! I’ve also tried the Vitamix blender and that one seems to blend great too. Definitely more on the splurge side though!
HOW TO MAKE:
As you can assume the process of making a smoothie is super self explanatory.
- Just throw all the smoothie ingredients into the smaller blender cup or larger blender container (I use the larger feature if I’m making a smoothie for Casey and Blakely too)
- Blend! Depending on what blender you have, I like to blend the smoothie on the highest setting for about 1 minute or so.
TRUVANI PROTEIN POWDER REVIEW
What instantly hooked me about Truvani’s protein powder was how clean the ingredients are. It’s organic, it’s simple, it’s vegan, there’s no weird additives, no gums, and nothing processed or artificial.
But I’ll be honest, I thought “with ingredients this great, they probably had to sacrifice the taste.” At first sip, I was bracing myself for the nasty taste of healthy protein powder, and it never came!! This stuff is actually good!
Now, would I drink this solely mixed with milk or water? No. But I wouldn’t do that with any protein powder ever haha. Now that I have tasted how amazing it is mixed into a smoothie there is no going back.
One of the BIGGEST sellers for me, as someone with a *very* sensitive stomach, is this one doesn’t hurt my stomach after at all. In fact, it makes me feel so good and energized. As it should! I’ve tried a lot of protein powders out there and most all of them have left me with some kind of stomach pain.
Overall, I’d highly recommend this protein powder to you guys to try! This is not sponsored in any way- truly just wanted to share what has worked for me! Like I mentioned above, it can be pretty expensive for the 20 servings it offers. But be sure to look out for the sales both online and at Sprouts (where I found mine on sale) if you have one near you!
Hope you guys try this smoothie and ENJOY! <3