I’m going to be honest. Before the pandemic, I really didn’t like at-home workouts. I would much rather have been in the gym or at a studio surrounded by like-minded people who are trying to better themselves.
BUT, as you may or may not know, I just had a sweet baby girl in December 2020. With a new baby in the house I’ve tried to limit my exposure as much as possible, so at-home workouts have been my go to for the past year to get some movement in!
There are some pros and cons to at home workouts.
- Pros: the convenience!!! I mean if I can boost my mood, let out some stress, AND see results all from home – sign me up. If you are a busy bee, at-home workouts might be perfect for the season you are in. Another huge pro is they are FREE. And who doesn’t like free things? Yes, there are paid options, but if you’re on a strict budget then there are SO many free options too!
- Cons: I find it harder to get motivated and harder to stay consistent… BUT that is what this post is for. I’ll be sharing tips that have worked for me to find motivation and stick to a routine.
Maybe you don’t want to pay for a gym. Maybe you don’t feel comfortable going in the middle of a pandemic. Maybe you think you’re too much of a “beginner.” OR maybe you just don’t have the time!
Whatever the reason is, this guide is for you!
At-home workouts are convenient, and YES, you can see results even if you don’t step foot in a gym. I’m here to let you know how in 5 easy steps:
STEP 1: SET INTENTIONAL & SPECIFIC GOALS
At the start of each year, each month, and each week I set intentional & specific movement goals. In the past these have been things like:
- Get 30 minutes of movement a day
- Complete 3-4 Barre3 classes a week
- Walk 5k steps everyday
- Stretch for at least 5 minutes before and after a workout
Grab a notebook (you’ll be needing it for step 2 as well), sit down with no phone, and write down your goals. Be intuitive and intentional about what you want to do for your body and what kind of movement feels good for your body. Writing it down can help you to stay accountable because you can look back and see if you have accomplished your goals or if you need to tweak them.
STEP 2: GET MOTIVATED & PLAN AHEAD
The best way to get motivated is to visualize your best self and then show up as him/her everyday.
What does your day to day look like? Do you have a consistent routine or are you just going through the motions? In order to have success with working out, creating a routine is essential. You have to be intentional about planning your workout which means blocking out specific time in your day for it.
Would you be willing to wake up an hour earlier to squeeze in a workout?
Or are you more of an afternoon/evening person where you can block 30-60 min of working out before dinner. And what’s convenient is you don’t have to drive anywhere!!!!
What has worked for me is to WRITE IT DOWN! I like to do this on Sundays. I’ll write out what kind of workout I want to do each day of the week and then figure out what time works best on each day. PLANNING and SCHEDULING ahead is key to at-home success!
STEP 3: WHAT YOU NEED
Now that you have set goals, planned your workouts for the week and are motivated to get them done, we can talk about what you need.
First things first, you need to put on something that makes you feel confident. Change out of your pajamas and into your favorite leggings and sports bra. Personally, a matching set always makes me feel more motivated to workout.
Next, grab a yoga mat! Having a mat handy is great to get you in the workout mindset, keep you off your floors and easily clean sweat up if it drips… and it might. 😉
Also, it would be beneficial to invest in some weights to create more of a challenge. But if that’s not in the budget, do not worry! You can always start with body-weight exercises. Then once you know you have a consistent routine you can start putting money towards your workouts.
Lastly, I wanted to throw in some other fun equipment ideas to help spice up your workouts.
- BOOTY BANDS. This is a great addition to any workout, especially lower body for that extra burn. They add resistance which aids in lifting and toning! Here is a great option from Amazon for under $20!
- SLIDERS. Sliders are a great way to tap into those small muscles while secretly strengthening your core. It’s a balance challenge in a way when used correctly! I found these on Amazon for under $10!
STEP 4: FIND A BUDDY
Having an accountability partner makes all the difference for me. When I was living at home during the pandemic, my mom and I would do online Barre3 workouts in the morning. But let’s be honest, some days I just didn’t feel like working out. That’s why having a workout buddy helped to hold me accountable and remind me of my goals. And it was more fun working out with a partner anyways!!
STEP 5: THE WORKOUT
Aaaaand now you’re ready to workout! HERE is a blog post I wrote on FREE at-home workouts I have loved! Check it out 🙂
Remember, focus first on how you FEEL after the workout and the results will follow. I know for me the energy and stress relief it gives me is what keeps bringing me back. I hope this helped and as always let me know if you have any questions!