Hi everyone! How are you guys? I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are enjoying the subtle drop in temperature as much as I am!
After almost 3 years staying at home with my daughter doing part-time work here and there, I have officially landed a dream full-time position. I wanted to dedicate a post to fill you guys in on my transition from a stay-at-home mom to a working mom. I am pushing away the mom-guilt and allowing myself to feel all the proud and exciting emotions over this new chapter.
STAY-AT-HOME-MOM 👉 WORKING MOM
Since having my daughter in 2020, my identity has been her mom. More specifically, a stay at home mom.
And I’ve loved it. I loved getting to be my daughter’s first teacher, I loved taking her on adventures exploring our city on a random Tuesday, I loved the freedom and the flexibility and trying to be present in all the moments (both the good and the hard because Lord knows there was both). I learned that being a stay-at-home mom is equally the most rewarding, yet challenging job in the world.
But in the back of my mind I always wondered what it would be like to be a full-time working mom. To make the jump to put my daughter in daycare, start my full-time career, have more financial freedom and to get to do something I love.
I learned it doesn’t have to be one or the other. I have loved my season being a stay-at-home-mom, and I love this exciting new chapter of transitioning to a full-time working mom.
We are now a few weeks into daycare and not only does she enjoy it, we have gotten to attend her classmate’s birthday parties, I’ve gone to a happy hour with the mom’s of her class and most important found solidarity with other working moms.
HOW I KNEW IT WAS THE RIGHT TIME FOR ME TO START WORKING:
Making the decision to put Blakely in full-time daycare and begin my search for a full-time job was not a decision we made lightly.
I prayed and I prayed for guidance, direction, and overall a peace that this was the path we were supposed to be taking for our family.
Here are a few things I leaned on to trust in my decision to start working full-time:
- Like I mentioned, I prayed and prayed over this decision. My husband 100% supported me either way, but we both felt that me choosing to work would be the best decision for our family.
- Daycare’s in Atlanta are extremely competitive to get into. There was a wait-list for almost everywhere we toured, except for the school my daughter goes to now. It all worked out so easily and perfectly that it just felt like it was meant to be.
- Financial freedom. Since my husband and I had our daughter so young, we didn’t have time to build a foundation without kids. Having two incomes instead of one will completely change our way of living and allow us to do things and save up for things we previously couldn’t afford.
- This is one of the biggest things… my daughter loves her school. We did a school trial run for a few weeks while I was still job-searching so she (and I haha) could adjust. She comes home raving about her class friends, that she played hard in the sandbox and how she took “a gweat nap.” She told me yesterday she wanted to be one of her friends for Halloween haha.
- The full-time position I landed checks all the boxes and more for what I was looking for in a position: it’s fully remote, has a collaborative work culture, allows me to use my creativity and abilities, has great benefits, job-security and of course a pretty sweet paycheck!
- Leaning into God’s plan and trusting that what is meant to be will be. <3
FINDING A FULL-TIME JOB
My job search was not an easy process. I spent 7 weeks looking for the right job, applied to what felt like a million positions via LinkedIn and Indeed (personalized cover letter and all), I networked on LinkedIn and used my connections to get my foot in the door, I interviewed at 6 different companies, and I finally landed the perfect job for me!!!
I’m so grateful to have been able to stay home with Blakely the past few years doing part-time work alongside of her. But I am so excited to officially begin my full-time career. I know there will be different challenges ahead, but in the meantime I have such a peace about this decision.
LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
Excited about the future and to keep sharing more of my life on this space. Once I get into the groove of things I’m thinking of sharing a work from home morning routine post, tips on how to balance work and home life and ways to stay productive while working remotely. Anything else you guys are interested in let me know! The wheels are spinning over here!
As always, I’m happy to answer any questions in the comments, and would love to hear any and all tips from full-time working mamas too!!